Just one hour from Brays Island Plantation is one of today’s top-ranked travel destinations: Charleston, South Carolina. In fact, Conde Naste Traveler awarded Charleston the title of being the “Top City in the U.S.” from 2011 through 2017. In 2012, the same publication named Charleston the “Top City in the World.”
So, what’s the big deal with the Holy City? Of course, the answer depends on the person. For some, it’s the food. In recent years, Charleston has become a mecca for foodies looking to enjoy the fresh seafood influenced by delicious Lowcountry flavors and led by an impressive list of culinary pioneers–several of whom have earned James Beard Award winner status.
Others are drawn to the good ol’ southern hospitality that is so pervasive in this part of the world. Charleston is also considered one of the most romantic cities in the world, making it a great destination for couples.
Whatever the reason, time spent in “Chucktown” is time well spent. And with it being so close to Brays Island, why not visit for a day trip?
No. 1 City:
- Ranked the “Top City in the U.S.” in Conde Nast Traveler’s Readers’ Choice survey for seven consecutive years (2011-2017)
- Voted “No. 1 City in the U.S. and Canada: by Travel + Leisure 2017 World’s Best Awards for five consecutive years (2013-2017)
- Voted top U.S. City in the Travel + Leisure 2013 World’s Best Awards survey
A Top City to Visit:
- Listed among the top 20 travel destinations in the world by Telegraph Travel (2014)
- Voted #2 on list of Best Girls’ Trips by readers of USA Today and 10Best.com (2014)
- Ranked fourth most romantic city in the world by Fodor’s (2014)
- Ranked among the “Top 10 Cities Overall” in Travel + Leisure’s 2013 World’s Best Awards.
- Named among the top 21 places to visit in the world by Fodor’s Travel (2012).
- Received “Hall of Fame” recognition for consistently appearing in Travel + Leisure’s World’s Best Awards for over a decade
- Named among the Best American Cities for Foodies (#4) by Conde Nast Traveler (2014)
- Additional accolades for travel and culture have been presented by TravelSmart magazine, Parade magazine, Travelocity.com, CNN, Virtualtourist.com and many others
A Top Place to Live:
- Named a “Best Place to Retire” by Forbes (2014)
- Ranked #12 on the Huffington Post’s list of best U.S. military base locations around the world (2014)
- Named Best Small City for Retirement in Fortune Magazine’s round-up of the “Best Places to Retire Now” (2014)
- Charleston ranked #2 among the country’s Top Ten Downtowns by Livability.com (2013)
A Top Performing City:
- Ranked among top 10 Fastest Growing Cities for software and Internet technology by Fast Company (2012)
- Ranked the fifth Top Mid-Size City for Jobs by Forbes
- Ranked Friendliest City by readers of Conde Nast Traveler (2014)
- Received a Lifetime Achievement Award for being named “Most Mannerly City” by etiquette expert Marjabelle Young Steward more than 30 times.